Monday, November 23, 2009

Finished!

OK - I totally have learned another lesson. If something doesn't work perfectly, it still can work. :)

I actually am in love with this cover. It's got the cutest monkey print that is perfect for my little monkey! It isn't what I wanted exactly, but it works. I think I fell in love with it when I first used it as a cart cover. The place for the legs isn't where I would love for them to be, but it works! That's the point right?! So I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

First, what I did was put one fabric over the carseat and then just pinned along where I thought I should cut. Second, I cut it. Then I placed this fabric over the other one and pinned and cut. This is where the mistakes came, but I worked through them with only SOME unstitching. After I sewed the outsides I cut the middle and just guessed on what I thought would work.

One thing I learned is that if you want to have elastic in a double sided thing like this, you have to sew the outside partially, turn it right side out, then sew a place for the elastic to go. You can't sew it before you turn it right side out. Well you can, but I don't think it will look as good. :)

I am not going to go through all the details on how I made it, but if you would like me to, please leave a comment and I will put in a more thorough post about it. For now, I just wanted to express how happy I am that it is done and how cute it is!

I LOVE this inside. It is so soft and such a pretty rich color. I am happy I did it this way, so when I have a girl, I can use this side and just add some pink/purple if I want. Or if one side gets really dirty, I can just turn it around.

I added the ribbons so it could tie to the sides and be used as a blanket that can't get kicked off. I tried it with Ryan and it didn't really work very well. That's okay. It works awesome as a cover for the car seat (which we won't use since he would freak out, next baby!), cart for the store, and restaurant infant seats. It doesn't fit perfectly, but it does it's job and keeps my cute baby from touching all the grossy stuff that can be out there. I love it!

And here are some cute pictures of Ryan using it at Costco. He was super tired so because I had the cover I was able to lay him down and keep him really comfortable. I think he loves it, too! :)

6 comments:

  1. It turned out awesome! Way to go! I wish I would have seen these before I made my cover. I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! i made a car seat cover for my cousin last night and yours is so much fancier! I wonder if I should make mine not so ghetto...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geeze Shirley, I thought you said you were no good at this stuff. Your cover came out frikin cool! I love it.
    The way you did it sounds about like the way I'd go about trying to figure it out. I always just guess too.
    Pretty stinkin cool if you ask me. I like both sides. That brown is pretty.
    I'm very impressed. :)
    Looks like Ryan sure loves it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how cute this turned out!!! You did a way good job!! I think I should make one for me now for this little guy! :) Hows the house?? Thats so funny you missed my last few posts, I laughed pretty hard when I got your comment! And you don't need to worry about sending us stuff, shipping is so expensive! and I have been sewing him a ton of stuff so we are doing okay actually, now if I can just have the kid! :)

    ReplyDelete