Sunday, March 14, 2010

Keep It Simple

Well we finally did it. We took a look at our finances (when I say we, I mean me and Jared. Amazing isn't it!?), and made a budget.

Good news: We made a budget and we have enough to cover our needs.
Bad news: We only make enough to cover our needs. AND we don't have a ton of flexible spending. If only our HOA didn't include cable so we could get rid of it!

The only thing that we could get rid of is our phones, and we'll see with that one. I need texting to talk to my mom (a lot of it) and then I want to be able to make calls if I need to. We used 240 minutes out of 750 last month. Yeah, I'm thinking we don't need that many. But our phone is through Tmobile and you need to have a plan that is at least $50 to have it. Have you seen those Digis billboards? Internet and phone for $20?! We are considering that. Like I said, we'll see.

We can also eat out less. We have already been doing better this month so we'll see how it goes. I hardly eat out, but Jared hates sandwiches (why can't he just love them!?) so lunch just isn't cheap for him. But eating out is way more expensive so we have budgeted that as well as grocery store spending. We also put a cap on home improvements and decorating and all other stuff. I'm excited to see how we do at the end of April.

I would really like to be able to save at least $100 a month until we're decorated and then more afterwards. It sounds pathetic huh? But it's something. And I would like to start a life insurance policy for Jared, as well as an IRA. The main problem is all the decorating we are wanting to do. It's expensive! and I'm even being cheap about it! So I have come up with my motto for decorating: Keep It Simple!

With this in mind, I don't need to compete with everyone in my complex. I just need to decorate enough that it looks nice. It doesn't have to be WOW nice, because face it Shirley, we can't afford that.

We painted our entertainment center a dark brown and bought a wall clock. Now I just need shelves, decorations for the shelves, and pictures of our family and a picture for our dining room. I also would like to get a bench for our hallway and then some hooks to hang coats on for when people come over. Before that though, I need to get some rugs for our super long hallway. I am going to try and pay for all of this with my income that I am bringing in. It isn't much at all, but it is better to use that and remind me to keep it simple and take it one month at a time.

I have also decided to paint my bedroom. My sister-in-law said she would help me, as long as it was before a certain time, so I am going to take her up on that deal. The problem is that I have to buy a bed set so I can match the colors up. Right now our bed has a red and white 80's quilt on it. So comfy, but I am not painting my room BRIGHT RED. The bed set will be quite expensive probably, so I will have to pay for that first. I wish that I had a ton more money to spend on decorating, but I don't. It's okay. I have a nice house and home and I am grateful for that.

Oh and another thing I want to add is that we didn't pay our tithing last month so I could buy some stuff. After going over our budget I am going to be sure that we pay this month. If anything, it will make me feel better and more grateful for the situation we are in. I really can't complain. I have a wonderful husband, the best baby in the world, a warm home, and plenty of food to keep me fat. ;) I think paying our tithing will remind me of this. And maybe someone will write out a check for one million dollars to me for being so cute. Haha. jk!

So if you were wondering, yeah, the search of awesome non-mom jeans is at a halt. Maybe I can get some for my birthday. That's only two months away! I think I can wait until then. :)

4 comments:

  1. It's always such a struggle to find any money left over for decorating. If you want, you can come check out my site--completely dedicated to helping people decorate on a budget. You might be able to learn some cheaper ways of doing things. Good luck with it all.
    www.budgetwisehome.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley--we're working on so many of the same things! A few good money-saving websites I've found are: www.utahdealdiva.com, www.hip2save.blogspot.com, www.moneysavingmethods.com, and dealstomeals.com. Check them out if you have time...sometimes they're really helpful! Good luck...isn't budgeting fun? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha so I totally thought I had left a comment already! I am excited to hear how your new DVD's are! And talking about budget, you are heads and tails above us, we are in the negative. . . and thats just paying bills, that isn't even paying for food or gas or anything! ah to say the least I am stressed out of my mind right now! I am looking for some kind of a job I can do from home, so if you know of anything let me know! Ben is getting a secong job so I hope that will help at least a little. Anyway I am done complaining ha ha ha we need to talk though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the worst feeling, having a nice big house, but you can't decorate it all at once! If I were a decorator and if I lived in Utah, I would help you! Perhaps you can start doing "couponing" and use the money you save for your decorating. Seriously, I save HUNDREDS of dollars each month just by couponing. If you want to know more about it I can give you some info.

    ReplyDelete